|Near Kelso Scotland||| scottish borders ||
|| HOME | LOCATION | HISTORY | FACILITIES | CONTACT ||
Information on the village of Morebattle, near Kelso in Scotland.
Situated on top of a huge mound of sand, the church today seems so close to Morebattle that it shouldn't have needed to exist. This forgets that, in times past, before it was drained, there was a huge loch and marsh between the two villages.
Linton church has been in existence since very early times, there being a presbyter recorded in 1127.
The existing building is the result of many and frequent rebuildings, additions and removals.
The only existing Pre-reformation part of the building is the Tympanum above the porch door. The Tympanum is a carved relief depicting the legend of the slaying of the Linton Worm by William Somerville, 1st Baron Linton.
Inside, the font is also very old, being Norman and large enough for the total immersion of the infant. This font vanished during the Reformation, but re-appeared in about 1850, when it was found in the blacksmith's shop where it was being used as a cooling trough. Thereafter it became a planter in the garden of Clifton Park, before being returned, after repair, to the church.
With the Reformation, the church underwent a period of serious neglect, becoming almosr ruinous, but Lord Jedburgh, in 1616, undertook a major renovation. The east gable was replaced in 1754 and the west gable, after severe storm damage, in 1774. In 1911, the Rev James Leishman oversaw an almost complete reconstruction, after which, it was back to something nearer what it had been pre-Reformation. The chancel was rebuilt and the pulpit and communion table were returned to the east end.
The present bell was founded in 1697 by John Meikle of Edinburgh. The 'deid bell' preserved in the church is even older. Also from early times are the Douglas sundial from 1699, and the Govan tithe chest from the same period. The silver used for communion dates from 1700.
Back to: The Parish of Linton