|Near Kelso Scotland||| scottish borders ||
|| HOME | LOCATION | HISTORY | FACILITIES | CONTACT ||
Information on the village of Morebattle, near Kelso in Scotland.
Evidence of habitation in the Linton area has been left by all the peoples of the area since Neolithic times. Stone axes have been found at Graden and Linton Burnfoot, flint scrapers, arrowheads and daggers at Graden, Blakelaw and Hoselaw, a bronze axe at Graden and a spearhead in Linton Moss.
Round cairns which used to be seen on Linton Hill were destroyed with the spread of cultivation up the slopes. Remains of possible burial sites, which were described by the Rev Brotherston in 1834, have disappeared.
Roman remains are very scarce, though a bead and 'a brazen Roman spear' were also mentioned by Brotherston.
A circle of standing stones, known locally as the 'Tryst' was the meeting place for local groups planning a raid over the border into Northumberland. On the summit of Linton Hill there is evidence of Iron age occupation.
Both Linton and Hoselaw were villages in the Middle Ages, with their surrounding 'onsteads' of Frogden, Blakelaw, Hoselaw and Lochinches. These farmsteads or 'farm touns' with their groups of cottages looked to the villages for the church, school, blacksmith etc. As more and more farms developed, the need for people to live in the villages became less, and when smithies appeared on the individual large farms, the days of the village as a centre of population were numbered. Farms and their farmhouses became little communities in their own right.
The Somerville family first appeared in the records as being from Linton in 1136. There was a tower built by the family close to the church. Destroyed by the forces of Henry VIII, during the 'Rough Wooing', nothing now remains of it. The Somervilles remained as major landowners until the late 1400's when a branch of the Kers of Cessford became Ker of Lyntoune. Many members of the family had their small landholdings in Linton Parish, having seats at places such as Graden.
Henry Ker of Graden Place was a keen Jacobite who supported the movement in 1745. By then, however, almost all of the area had been in the hands of a branch of the Scott family, but by 1700 the Pringles of Clifton and Haining were in Clifton Park. These lairds owned almost three-quarters of the parish and had patronage over the church. Wauchope of Niddrie-Marshall, who also owned much of Yetholm, had the lands of Frogden and Graden.
These estates have, over the years, been broken up, some being farmed by their owners and the others being part of Roxburghe Estates.
The former school building is now used as the Village Hall.
Back to: The Parish of Linton